BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive

2013-10-16 17:24:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive
From: Phil Reynolds <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 22:23:14 +0100
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:46:18 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Phil Reynolds
> <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com> wrote:
> > An alternative, but I'm really not sure how it would work, would be
> > to use external discs for the pool.
>
> If you mount or symlink them in the expected location (depending on
> linux distro package or installation) whether they are external or not
> is irrelevant. USB2 will have a performance hit, esata would be as
> fast as internal, not sure about USB3.    And, if you are careful to
> stop the backuppc service and cleanly unmount, you could simply swap
> and rotate the disks (having 3 would be best so you never have all of
> them in one place...).   The next run after the swap would have to
> copy a bit more to catch up, and before that run you'd be a bit behind
> on what you could restore easily, but the scheme might be usable - and
> if things fit on a 2.5" drive it would be fairly convenient.

I'm using 3.5" drives - I have three, one of which is always at least
20 miles away - it is swapped with whichever of the other two is
offline every few weeks. I used to use 2.5" drives until my storage
needs exceeded the available capacity. As this will work, I may well
concentrate my work towards it. My only real problem is that I have
been forced to change software as what I was using has a bug which has
complicated things.

Unfortunately I am using USB2. An earlier attempt to use eSATA proved
highly unreliable, though I would certainly try again if I got suitable
drive interfaces. I will no doubt get either that or USB3 at some
point. Until then, I'll just have to live with the performance hit.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com