BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive

2013-10-17 12:37:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive
From: Phil Reynolds <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:35:37 +0100
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:51:06 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Phil Reynolds
> <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com> wrote:
> > > if things fit on a 2.5" drive it would be fairly convenient.
> >
> > I'm using 3.5" drives - I have three, one of which is always at
> > least 20 miles away - it is swapped with whichever of the other two
> > is offline every few weeks. I used to use 2.5" drives until my
> > storage needs exceeded the available capacity.
>
> If you aren't used to backuppc, it will take much less storage than
> you expect due to compression and pooling.  And if you are exceeding
> the (at least) 1.5TB you can get in the 2.5" form, the performance is
> going to matter.

At the time I got these drives, 1TB was impractical in 2.5".

> > Unfortunately I am using USB2. An earlier attempt to use eSATA
> > proved highly unreliable, though I would certainly try again if I
> > got suitable drive interfaces. I will no doubt get either that or
> > USB3 at some point. Until then, I'll just have to live with the
> > performance hit.
>
> If you have available drive bays in your computer, you can get hot
> swap trayless SATA bays in either 3.5 or 2.5 sizes and just use bare
> drives.

Unfortunately I haven't reached a "stable" state as far as required
drive bays go, yet. I routinely use hot swap bays though.

> The one other thing you should do is have backuppc installed on some
> other machine at the offsite location (I kept it on a VM on a laptop
> that could attach to the USB) if you want to be able to recover things
> easily.

Not possible, unless I build a machine for the purpose and pay its
running costs to the person who pays the bill there.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com