BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive

2013-10-16 16:48:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:46:18 -0500
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Phil Reynolds
<phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:52:00 -0400
> Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:
>
>> I like BackupPC very much, but its archive capabilities are
>> rudimentary at best.  No scheduled archives, no ability to run more
>> than one archive at a time (which trips me up when one archive runs
>> long and my next scheduled one runs!), and no ability to create
>> incremental or differential archives. So you may not have the
>> flexibility that you want.
>
> Hmmm... this is rather more awkward than I was hoping for.
>
> An alternative, but I'm really not sure how it would work, would be to
> use external discs for the pool.

If you mount or symlink them in the expected location (depending on
linux distro package or installation) whether they are external or not
is irrelevant. USB2 will have a performance hit, esata would be as
fast as internal, not sure about USB3.    And, if you are careful to
stop the backuppc service and cleanly unmount, you could simply swap
and rotate the disks (having 3 would be best so you never have all of
them in one place...).   The next run after the swap would have to
copy a bit more to catch up, and before that run you'd be a bit behind
on what you could restore easily, but the scheme might be usable - and
if things fit on a 2.5" drive it would be fairly convenient.

I've used a setup that had 3 identical disks configured in a linux
software raid1 (mirror) where I normally ran with 2 drives and
periodically added the 3rd and had the raid re-sync, then rotated that
drive offsite.   It worked fine in terms of always have a good copy
online and staying relatively current offsite, but the re-sync kept
the drives so busy that it really wasn't practical to do backups
during that time.