BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 released

2013-07-06 19:15:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 released
From: Igor Sverkos <igor.sverkos AT googlemail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 01:13:41 +0200
Hi,

Craig Barratt wrote:
> - rsync-bpc-3.0.9.1.tar.gz: a modified rsync that
> runs on the server that has a shim layer that
> interfaces directly to the BackupPC file system.

Not sure where this modified rsync version will be used, but do you know rsync's fadvise patch?
We are currently testing the patched rsync version with BPC and the results are very good. Without the patch, backing up a server every night will cause some performance penalty to the backed up server, because rsync will fill up the server's page cache with the backed up data, but this will blow out the application's data.

With the patch, we don't notice the backup job on most servers, because the application data is all in memory and I/O is free for rsync.

For details: http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/fadvise/

Latest patch (from January 2013): http://tobi.oetiker.ch/patches/rsync-3.0.9-3-fadvise.patch

Not sure of this is a client thing or if this can be helpful in the upcoming BPC 4 version...

Igor