BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 released

2013-07-01 14:56:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 released
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, Developers discussion <backuppc-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 11:53:57 -0700
BackupPC community,

I'm pleased to announce that BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 has been released on SourceForge at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc/files/backuppc-beta/4.0.0alpha1/

BackupPC 4.0.0alpha1 contains a few bug fixes since BackupPC 4.0.0alpha0 was released just over a week ago.  If you are testing BackupPC 4.0.0alpha0, I recommend you upgrade.

Each of the three packages in the release has been updated.  You should upgrade all three packages:

 - BackupPC-4.0.0alpha1.tar.gz: the usual BackupPC release tar ball.
 - BackupPC-XS-0.10.tar.gz: a perl XS module with C code that replaces several BackupPC perl libraries for improved performance.
 - rsync-bpc-3.0.9.1.tar.gz: a modified rsync that runs on the server that has a shim layer that interfaces directly to the BackupPC file system.

As before, I do not recommend using this release in any production environment.  Having some people try it out in a sandbox in their environment would be very helpful

I'm attaching some short notes on the build/install steps for each package.

Craig

BackupPC-XS-0.10.tar.gz:

  tar zxvf BackupPC-XS-0.10.tar.gz
  cd BackupPC-XS-0.10
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  make install

rsync-bpc-3.0.9.1.tar.gz:

  tar zxvf rsync-bpc-3.0.9.1.tar.gz
  cd rsync-bpc-3.0.9.1
  ./configure.sh
  make
  make install

BackupPC-4.0.0alpha1.tar.gz:

  tar zxvf BackupPC-4.0.0alpha1.tar.gz
  cd BackupPC-4.0.0alpha1

The last step for each will need to be run as a privileged user.

If you want to install rsync_bpc in /usr/local/bin (default might be /usr/bin), then you should add the --prefix option to configure.sh:

  ./configure.sh --prefix=/usr/local