BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming

2013-04-26 17:05:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:04:07 -0400
Lord Sporkton wrote at about 13:46:25 -0700 on Friday, April 26, 2013:
 > As mentioned we have multiple customers and departments. It's not just one
 > server. Also 50g data bases aren't the largest. We have ones upto 200g
 > individual dbs. Also we're using scsi drives which cost a pretty penny.

I don't think BackupPC is the write solution for backing up regularly
changing files (like databases) that are 200GB. First, you will likely
get very little pooling at the file level since even a 1 bit change in
the DB will require a new pool entry. Second you will "waste"
significant IO and computation resources writing the DB to a flat
file, (optionally) compressing it to the cpool, and then one or more
times either comparing it to an existing entry and/or computing
checksums. If anything, you want to be doing block-level pooling --
either at the filesystem layer (e.g., ZFS) or by dividing each
database manually into smaller less frequently changing chunks.

If you are indeed talking about files in the 50-200GB range, you are
not going to fit more than a handful of files per TB disk... even if
you have a RAID array of multiple disks, you are still probably
talking about only a small number of files. So, you are probably
better off writing a simple script that just back up those few DB
files and rotates them if you want to retain several older copies.