BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming

2013-04-26 18:32:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:31:37 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 16:29:10 -0500 on Friday, April 26, 2013:
 > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Lord Sporkton <lordsporkton AT gmail DOT
 > com> wrote:
 > > As mentioned we have multiple customers and departments. It's not just one
 > > server. Also 50g data bases aren't the largest. We have ones upto 200g
 > > individual dbs. Also we're using scsi drives which cost a pretty penny.
 >
 > I think you are missing what people are saying.  Throw some big, cheap
 > SATA drives somewhere, on any convenient box (possibly the backuppc
 > server itself) and write your db dumps from other hosts there over the
 > network using   |ssh host 'cat >file',  nfs or smb.    Then if you
 > want a history, let backuppc back up this holding space.  However,
 > backuppc isn't great for storing lots of copies of large files with
 > small differences.  Depending on the database contents, you may get
 > pretty good compression on the content but it is still going to store
 > a complete copy of the data for every version.  Unlike, for example, a
 > large directory of files where only a few small files change between
 > copies and backuppc can hardlink the duplicates.

Precisely... if you just have a few (as in o(100)) large database
files then you don't need all the complexity of BackupPC which comes
at the cost of speed, etc. And the pooling part which is perhaps the
main differentiator of BackupPC probably won't even come into play at
all since even a 1 bit change to a 50-200GB database will require an
entire new copy.

I would do what Les suggests in conjunction with compression (if you
truly are using mysqldump to output an ascii flat file) plus a
filesystem like zfs with block de-duplication. BackupPC seems like the
wrong nail for the hammer...