BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming

2013-04-26 21:12:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:05:20 -0400
<backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 04/26/2013 06:27:32 PM:

> My point is that even with o(100) files/copies which assuming you are
> backing up multiple versions means you have far fewer distinct files
> -- you may be better off just writing a script...

I get your point, though I would ask you to define "better"...

> BackupPC is really targeted at backing up large trees of thousands of
> files. If you just have a 100 large databases, why not just use a cron
> script that copies each one and appends a datestamp or stores it in a
> different folder. It will probably be much faster too...

Why not cron?  There's no Web GUI, it doesn't expire old versions easily over an increasingly long period of time like BPC ( [2,2,2,2], for example), I can't easily start/stop/manage the backup jobs while they're running (short of kill -9), there's no built-in way of archiving this data to removable storage, and I'm already keeping an close eye on my BackupPC server for all of the other backups that it's doing, so why build a kluged-together script when I can use the tool I've already GOT?

I agree that it's an environment where many of BackupPC's unique strengths are not used to their advantage.  But I already have it for the areas where it *does* excel, and other than it's a little slower than a straight-up native rsync, I get *all* those other features for free.  And as for speed:  I do the localhost during the day, when the BackupPC server would be idle anyway, so who cares about the time as long as it completes before my backup window starts in the evening?  Why *would* I use cron instead?

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.  And BackupPC is *plenty* good enough.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com