BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming

2013-04-26 18:29:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:27:32 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 17:20:13 -0400 on Friday, April 26, 2013:
 > <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 04/26/2013 05:04:07 PM:
 >
 > > If you are indeed talking about files in the 50-200GB range, you are
 > > not going to fit more than a handful of files per TB disk... even if
 > > you have a RAID array of multiple disks, you are still probably
 > > talking about only a small number of files. So, you are probably
 > > better off writing a simple script that just back up those few DB
 > > files and rotates them if you want to retain several older copies.

 > with hot-spare, I still got >24TB of space.  That puppy moves >800MB/s to
 > the drives...  All for $6k.  If I had cut some corners on RAM and CPU (and
 > skipped the extra GbE ports) it would have been a little over under $4k.
 >
 > That's enough space for more than 100 copies of a 200GB database....  And
 > you could still use BackupPC for keeping older copies around over time,
 > even if you don't get much help with pooling...

My point is that even with o(100) files/copies which assuming you are
backing up multiple versions means you have far fewer distinct files
-- you may be better off just writing a script...

BackupPC is really targeted at backing up large trees of thousands of
files. If you just have a 100 large databases, why not just use a cron
script that copies each one and appends a datestamp or stores it in a
different folder. It will probably be much faster too...