BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec

2013-02-20 12:54:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:52:31 -0600
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM, zdravko
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Here is my log:
> B#      Typ Filled Level Start Date     Duration/mins   Age/days
> Server Backup Path
> 7       full    yes     0       2/11 19:00      128.7   8.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/7
> 9       incr    no      1       2/13 19:00      59.8    6.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/9
> 10      incr    no      1       2/14 19:00      76.7    5.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/10
> 11      incr    no      1       2/15 19:00      81.3    4.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/11
> 12      incr    no      1       2/16 19:00      59.6    3.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/12
> 13      incr    no      1       2/17 19:00      21.4    2.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/13
> 14      full    yes     0       2/18 19:00      140.9   1.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/14
> 15      incr    no      1       2/19 19:00      77.6    0.6
> /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/dom.mks.si/15
>
> You can see the timings from the table. And nothing much is happening on this
> machine.
> It's still a personal workstation. It has a separate disk for storing
> backups. About 7G total.
> Last full backup took 140min, incr took a half: 77min.
> Isn't this odd, at least to say?

The only seriously odd thing I see here is #13.  Level 1 incrementals
always back up changes from the last full, so you would expect it to
have done at least as much work as #11.   However, even that isn't
completely predictable as you might have added some files one day and
deleted them before the #13 run.   Or the machine might have been
busier with other work some of the times.

Did you mean that this was your only box, backing itself up or is
there a separate target.  Local rsync backups have a slightly
different behavior, since the 'read everything on the client' phase is
also happening on the server, and both sides of the directory
comparison compete for RAM.

In any case, as you might deduce from the numbers above, one of the
tricks to scaling is to start your full runs on a different day for
different systems.