BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] secure install?

2013-02-20 17:37:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] secure install?
From: Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:35:39 -0800 (PST)
I could not understand below properly at http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/security.html

"While this setup should be safe, a more conservative approach is to run a dedicated Apache as user __BACKUPPCUSER__ on a different port. Then BackupPC_Admin no longer needs to be setuid, and the cgi directories can be locked down from normal users. Moreover, this setup is exactly the one used to support mod_perl, so this provides both the highest performance and the lowest security risk."

do I need to run another instance of apache on my webserver? I have a webserver running (ubuntu) and I can have a virtual website for backupPC running on a specific port, is that not enough?

as i understand, I do not have to install anything on my win7 PC, other linux servers, VMs etc. to back them up. if not correct pl let me know.

Pl give hints/examples etc. I am planning to use this software to backup the webserver itself and few other machines connected to it -> to a windows network share (dedicated for backup)!

ty.