BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec

2013-02-20 05:15:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:12:38 +1100
On 20/02/13 20:28, zdravko wrote:
> It doesn't, of course. I have only one system at the moment. What will happen
> when trying to
> backup the whole network? This means 5-10 systems at most daily, or not even
> that as this
> time length is very unpredictable from 11min to more then 2 hours, once.
What time is unpredictable? What are you even talking about?

Oh, I see, you have been having a conversation, but forgot to include
any of that context for people to comment on. I'll take a random stab in
the dark:

1) You are using rsync to backup remote hosts
2) You are looking at the speed shown by backuppc for the transfer
3) You are multiplying that speed by the amount of data you need to
backup, across all your machines

You have overlooked a number of factors:
1) Enable checksum caching, and complete at least 2 more full backups,
then complete a third full backup and start looking at the times
2) You will almost certainly do some incremental backups in between the
full backups
3) If you have 50 hosts, and each one takes 1 hour, will it take 50
hours to complete the backups? NO. You do 5 in parallel, it will take 10
hours.
4) If you take 1 hour for a full backup, an incremental will probably
take 10 minutes (or less), and if you do one full backup every 7 days,
then 42 machines will do incremental backups on any particular night
(approximately).

So, take a breath, if any of the above is wrong, then we are happy to
discuss it, but you will have to provide some details. Whatever problem
you have, someone else has almost certainly had the same problem and
solved it, not to say there are not some very difficult issues, but they
can be resolved if worked through.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Adam