BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec

2013-02-23 11:24:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] speed Mb/sec
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:22:50 +0100
Hi,

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 07:52:58 -0800 zdravko
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> I'm still checking things with BackupPC. Yesterday I switched to tar
> instead of rsync and the result was awesome: 9min for incr. backup.

9min compared to what? Some of my incrementals with rsync only take 0.5
minutes.

> Let's see what will next few days bring.

Before you get your hopes to high: there is a difference in how rsync
and tar work.
 - rsync checks the whole file-tree and only transfers files that have
   changed in attributes and (on incremental) content. So it puts a bit
   more strain on server and client but transfers less files.
 - tar transfers everything where the attributes have changed,
   regardless whether the contents have changed or not. Less load on
   server and client but more data to transfer.

The transfer-rate shown in backuppc tells you how many data was
transfered in the backup-time. So the higher value for tar doesn't
necessarily mean that your backup transfered faster. It means your new
method of choice had more data to transfer and did so in the same
amount of time.

Have fun,

Arnold