BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] (somewhat solved) Backing up many small files

2013-02-07 11:20:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] (somewhat solved) Backing up many small files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:19:01 -0600
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
wrote:
> >> Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 10:17.32
>>
>> Output from the BPC-server (/bak):
>> User time (seconds): 228.31
>> Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 14:39:44
>>
>> According to
>> <<http://linux.about.com/od/commands/a/Example-Uses-Of-The-Command-Time.htm>>,
>> the wall clock indicates how long the process run would take. With that in
>> mind, the backup from the client should take about ten minutes. This is
>> clearly not so according to the BPC logs.
>
> This indicates that I was wrong; directory/inode traversal is not the
> issue. It's speedy enough to run the test. It is likely in the rsync block
> checksum comparison after all.

How does this time compare to an incremental where few/no files
actually change?  You should only do the checksum comparison on fulls
or files where the directory timestamp/length differ on incrementals.
  If there is an extreme difference, maybe you are out of available
RAM and pushing the server or target into swap with the size of the
directory contents.