BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Finding hosts on a home LAN

2013-02-05 18:49:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Finding hosts on a home LAN
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 23:48:07 +0000
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Magnus Larsson <magnus AT vista DOT se> wrote:

> I have no name server or other such function on my home LAN. All the
> machines are Linux, and I use rsync.

Easy, use Avahi. If these machines are Ubuntu, you probably already have
it. But if not, one of these should install it:

apt-get install avahi-daemon
yum install avahi

Verify that you can ping each machine as "hostname.local". Then use that as
either the Host or ClientNameAlias for each server.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"When a claim is falsified in science [...], it is discarded. It is put
in the trashbin of bad ideas.  When a claim of religion is falsified,