BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Finding hosts on a home LAN

2013-02-05 12:04:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Finding hosts on a home LAN
From: Magnus Larsson <magnus AT vista DOT se>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:03:12 +0100
Hi!

This might be somewhat stupid, but....

I have Backuppc on my home LAN, and used to identify all hosts via
ip-numbers, that were fixed from the router, so each host always get the
same ip-number by the router dhcp-server. Then the hosts were linked to
the ip-numbers via the /etc/hosts file on the server.

Now, however, I have installed a wifi-repeater that messes things up.
This repeater exchanges the MAC adress on the connected computers for a
virtual MAC address, same for all devices attached to it. So the router
no longer can give fixed ip numbers on the basis of the host MAC
address. This means that my setup with fixed ip numbers, matched to host
names through the /etc/hosts-file, no longer works (for the hosts
connected to the wifi repeater).

I have no name server or other such function on my home LAN. All the
machines are Linux, and I use rsync.

Any advice on what to do? I need a simple and stable solution..:) I have
read the backuppc documentation but find no real help there. Doing a
nmblookup does not work:

$ nmblookup zotec
querying zotec on 192.168.1.255
name_query failed to find name zotec

There is nothing on 192.168.1.255 - or rahter, I do not know how to set
things up so this works. Any help at all is warmly appreciated.....

Best,

Magnus