BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC and off site data?

2013-01-21 18:28:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC and off site data?
From: Andrew Schulman <andrex AT alumni.utexas DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:27:28 -0500
> Has anyone ever used Backuppc to store data off site? By offsite I mean ether
> to the cloud or to a server at another site.

I use a removeable drive cartridge (CRU Dataport 25).  Once a week I create a
file system snapshot of /var/lib/backuppc, rsync that to an encrypted volume on
the removeable drive, and carry the removeable drive off-site, bringing the
previous one back.

It's sneakernet, but if our building burns down we'll have the last week's
backup stored off-site.  The off-site backups are off-line, which you might or
might not consider a disadvantage.  At least they can't be broken into online.