BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC and off site data?

2013-01-21 11:58:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC and off site data?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:57:03 -0600
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Arch Willingham <arch AT tuparks DOT com>
wrote:

> I’ve got two different sites and at both I have Backuppc running to onsite
> Ubuntu servers and it works great.

Backuppc needs to have its entire archive on one filesystem where
hardlinks work for pooling.

> 1.  At one site, I'd also like to have a backuppc, use as its data folder, a
> computer at another site that is only available via SSH. Possible?

Accessing remote filesystems is much less efficient than the way
backuppc uses rsync.  Just run backuppc with the remote target.   If
ssh can only connect the 'wrong' direction, set up a VPN tunnel with
something like openvpn.    If your existing boxes have the bandwidth
and disk space available, just let them back up the other site as
well.

> 2.  At another site, I'd also like to have a backuppc, use as its data
> folder, one of the public cloud options (Amazon, Drop box, etc). Possible?

No, I don't think any of these present a filesystem that supports
hardlinks - and even if they did there would be a large amount of
wasted overhead for the server-side access to the files for the rsync
comparison.   The best approach for this might be a remote virtual
machine with a lot of local disk space.

> Also, in each case, is it possible to have backuppc have more than one data
> directory or do I need to create multiple Backuppc installations?

You need one top-level directory with everything on one filesystem.