BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu rsync Setup

2013-01-22 07:04:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu rsync Setup
From: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:02:54 -0500
Well, I didn't do what I said, I attacked one of the windows boxes first.  Then I kicked off a incremental backup.  I think the charset setting might be wrong:

incr backup started back to 2013-01-19 09:00:00 (backup #7) for directory /cygdrive/c
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l xxxxx tas-travis /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive . /cygdrive/c/
Xfer PIDs are now 18410
Got remote protocol 2037675042
Fatal error (bad version): "tty" option detected in CYGWIN environment variable.
CYGWIN=tty is no longer supported.  Please remove it from your
CYGWIN environment variable and use a terminal emulator like mintty,
xterm, or rxvt.

Sent include: /Users
Sent include: /Data
Sent exclude: /*
Remote[103]:  detected in CYGWIN environment variable.
CYGWIN=tty is no longer supported.  Please remove it from your
CYGWIN environment variable and use a terminal emulator like mintty,
xterm, or rxvt.
,QýPü.¡úûP@þÿÿÿþÿÿÿDataÞCNPéUsersÔüPýA  Data/Desktop.ini‘U&ÆD€é8INC2Hack¤ONP@:Outlookœ"¡J8DINC2Hack/hack-vivow.cmdÒÔO–N€:sh@\P–N:_rts.cmdûZONP:misc_versionÝ=ÑM8Rev•ONP@8revolutionary-0.4pre4.zip¸	NNP€:gRUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip]EßîàGN:Serial-Key.txt6AONP8toolsûCNP@8zergRushßR®“N€:Rev/AdbWinApi.dllxÜv
N:libcurl-4.dllöðôAKNº
--  and on and on in greek ---

I have charmap set to "cp1252" like the instructions I have say to do.  If ssh into the windows box and do "locale charmap" it returns "UTF-8".  So, do I have something wrong, or is this all correct?  I am not worried about the tty issue, I don't think that is causing any issues (unless that is the cause of the charmap!).

I also, had just updated the settings for this host from smb to rsync, not sure if I should have started this as a "new" host configuration.  The backup started early and NEVER finished.  It ended up aborting because the box when to sleep (like 10 hours later).   Which was me pushing the sleep button, figured it had to be done by then!

Thanks..

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Travis Schwenke
<travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Also, I found this  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/localhost.html
>
> It does have some info, hoping I can find some of the "other" items that are
> listed:

It will also work over ssh just like any other system - there is just
some extra overhead for encryption that isn't necessary but doesn't
really hurt anything.