BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)

2013-01-08 23:53:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:51:10 +1100
On 09/01/13 05:07, Travis Schwenke wrote:
> Agreed, the webpage will not work until the server is running.  I do
> get that, just trying to be complete in my giving
> of useless information!  I appreciate all the help from the group
> getting a rookie up to speed.  I do believe that looking at my options
> once I get this all setup I will have learned something and have a
> great application running/working!
>
> > So $TopDir isn't changed?   Or you are running a version earlier than
> > 3.2.0?   Or permissions are wrong.  Or all of the above.
>
> I am out of town on business, so I can't check until I am on a
> connection I can xrdp into the machine, but I believe when I checked
> before while reading other posts I have 3.2.1.  When I grabbed this
> text, it was AFTER I changed it back to the "stock" location.  The
> text DID change when I had it set at /data01/backuppc.  (I did try to
> keep it in a backuppc directory, just like it was in \var\lib).  I had
> created that directory AND given it the same permissions as
> \var\lib\backuppc before I did the mv into the directory.

My strong suggestion would be to do the following:
1) sudo apt-get --purge remove backuppc
This will remove backuppc, all configs/etc, and get you ready to start
with a clean slate.
2a) setup a bind mount (add to fstab) and actually mount it, so that
/var/lib/backuppc is where your data will go.
OR
2b) Create a symlink for /var/lib/backuppc -> /data02/backuppc or
wherever you want it
3) apt-get install backuppc

After that, you only need to worry about configuring backuppc like
everybody else. Your life will be much easier, especially when asking
for help, if your configuration is similar to a large number of other
people. If you really want to fiddle and fine tune, then you will
probably appreciate the choices you can make when installing from source.

Generally, install from package will "just work", but if you get
underneath it and fiddle too much, then it will come crashing down on you.

Take small steps, one thing at a time, and you will get there. Sometimes
it is frustrating to wait for each little step, but the end result will
be worthwhile (or else none of us would be using backuppc and on this
list)...

Regards,
Adam

--