BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)

2013-01-04 10:43:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:41:44 +0000
On 2013-01-04 15:08, Travis Schwenke wrote:
> Well, I figured there were two but wasn't 100% sure.  So the frustrating
> part would be that I seem to NOT know then the password to the backuppc
> USER that was created on the system.

That's because you really shouldn't need it. I don't know my backuppc user
password, for instance. Try:

sudo su - backuppc

But again, backuppc doesn't have a shell by default. So instead, try this:

sudo -u backuppc <command>

> I am not
> totally used to the sudo thing since I had Mandriva running for years and
> would su over to the root to fix/update system things.

It is definitely in your best interest to learn it.

>> Consider also adding a symlink to your new destination:
> Not sure what benefit this has if I just point to a new spot??

As long as TopDir is set correctly, you shouldn't need it. However, I've
found some supporting scripts that expect this location, and my own habit
is to look there. So I tend to make symlinks just to remind myself. I guess
this falls under "Tyler's practice" not "best practice".

> Ok, I have to do all this (maybe, might stick with tar).  My first thing
> was to get the BackupPC running and backing up the windows boxes in the
> house using smb (to the RIGHT SPOT).  I noticed that Ubuntu 12.10 desktop
> doesn't have ssh and a couple other things installed that are needed. So I
> have to install them and setup that all up before I can rsync files from
> "localhost".  Really my environment is this ONE linux box (this one) and 4
> windows boxes.

Really, really, REALLY consider using rsync, even on Windows. Level 1
backups are far more efficient, and deleted files are correctly noted. It
means installing an rsyncd or ssh+rsync solution (such as Cygwin) on
windows, but that's not as hard as it might appear. Also, if you enable
rsync block checksums, backups are faster and network copies are
considerably more efficient.

I even install an rsync binary (and QuickSSHd) on my Android devices and
back THEM up with BackupPC.

> Yeah, everything is ext3 or ext4 (actually data02 is the only one ext3 and
> that is since it came straight out of my old "server" that died and was
> ext3 already)

It's easy to upgrade to ext4, although it won't be as efficient on disk as
a new ext4 filesystem.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without
evidence."