BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)

2013-01-04 07:41:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)
From: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 07:40:10 -0500
I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 (non server) but desire to run some server type aps.  In looking for a centralized backup solution I settled on BackupPC.  Not being a unix expert I figured having the GUI would help.  Well I have a few issues!

The good:
  • I can access the webpage from the Ubuntu box
  • I can access the webpage from windows boxes in the house
  • First attempt at install I was able to start a backup (however it ignored my "only" list) of a windows box.  The desktop/server needed some work as it looks like ssh and some other items are NOT installed yet, but Windows boxes first!
The bad:
  • I had to reinstall (see below) and am starting from scratch..
  • Ok.. I can't even change backuppc password!  I figured I would su over to backuppc but that doesn't even work.  How do I change the password on Ubuntu?  Here is what I get.  I figure that the reason I get the read/write is due to the permissions on the file.  It looks like all the directories were setup at install to be owned by "backuppc - BackupPC" and group "www-data"
    travis@TAS-Server:~$ su backuppc
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    travis@TAS-Server:~$ htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc
    htpasswd: cannot open file /etc/backuppc/htpasswd for read/write access
    travis@TAS-Server:~$
                • Ubuntu seems to install (without a prompt) the data directory at /var/lib/backuppc (owner: backuppc / group: backuppc).  I really want to change this as that is NOT where I reserved space.  I have a mount at /data01 on my system that is a 1TB drive I setup FOR my backups.  (previous server backups ran on clients and sent them here)
                  • I did read some of the things I found and it looked like in my version I could just change TopDir (which is NOT in the GUI) but when I tired, I broke the web GUI.  My guess is that I changed the file using root and I then had a permission issue.
                  • This really gets me back to, how should I be changing these files?  Seems I am logged in as a "user" and have no way to login as backuppc user to modify the files and keep the permissions the same.  If I do them as root (sudo) I think things go bad as it changes owernship on me.
                Thanks for any and all help.  Once this is setup I know it is going to "just work".  Just need to learn these base issues and don't want to screw things up.  I did try to add my user to the backuppc group, but the group only has access permissions.  Before I go messing things up (again) looking for advice.

                Travis