BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)

2013-01-08 13:09:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)
From: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 13:07:48 -0500
Agreed, the webpage will not work until the server is running.  I do get that, just trying to be complete in my giving of useless information!  I appreciate all the help from the group getting a rookie up to speed.  I do believe that looking at my options once I get this all setup I will have learned something and have a great application running/working!

> So $TopDir isn't changed?   Or you are running a version earlier than
> 3.2.0?   Or permissions are wrong.  Or all of the above.

I am out of town on business, so I can't check until I am on a connection I can xrdp into the machine, but I believe when I checked before while reading other posts I have 3.2.1.  When I grabbed this text, it was AFTER I changed it back to the "stock" location.  The text DID change when I had it set at /data01/backuppc.  (I did try to keep it in a backuppc directory, just like it was in \var\lib).  I had created that directory AND given it the same permissions as \var\lib\backuppc before I did the mv into the directory.

> However, in the distribution-packaged
> versions the packager has already done this step and made the decision
> according to the distribution guidelines and you are trying to 2nd
> guess it.   I'd do the re-install to get back to a known-good point.
> But, my best guess at what is wrong is that you have a symlink at
> /var/lib/backuppc pointing to something with the wrong
> ownership/permissions.   If you try to create that hardlink yourself
>as the backuppc user you might get a better diagnostic message.

You are correct, the distro (Ubuntu 12.10) package did set everything up, just stinks it doesn't give you the prompt for the backup data location.  I did the re-install before leaving and have it at a known good point.  Webpage works, but I am not backing up anything yet (save the localhost it auto-setup).  I also took a look at the directory and I believe it was the /var/lib/log directory that was a sym link, to where I wasn't sure yet.

I will start from that point, but wanted to at least thank the group for the help so far.  I do feel as if I am learning and just don't want to make a mess of things, appreciate the dealing with a newbie at some of this!

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Travis Schwenke
<travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I am obviously missing something very fundamental..
>
> Changed Password (check)  [sudu su - was the trick, then could run commands
> correctly]
>
> Then the issue..  I went and and changed the TopDir setting and did the mv
> command..  Now the server isn't running.  I tried to restart, no luck, tried
> to mv things back, no luck.  I think my misunderstanding is the filesystem
> and mounts...
>
> /dev/sda6   :  mounted as root filesystem
> /dev/sda9   :  mounted as /data01
> /dev/sda1   :  mounted as /home (don't think that matters in this case)
>
> I did NOT try to restart the apache2 service.
>
> Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server

That's not going to work until the backuppc server starts...

> 2013-01-05 09:12:51 Can't create a test hardlink between a file in
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc and /var/lib/backuppc/cpool.  Either these are
> different file systems, or this file system doesn't support hardlinks, or
> these directories don't exist, or there is a permissions problem, or the
> file system is out of inodes or full.  Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check
> each of these possibilities. Quitting...

So $TopDir isn't changed?   Or you are running a version earlier than
3.2.0?   Or permissions are wrong.  Or all of the above.

> So, I think the mv must be the issue and it didn't like something...  When I
> tried to move it back, I got an error on the log directory.

I thought most packaged versions would re-create everything in the
archive partition if it doesn't exist and permissions permit it.

> I have seen the one page about moving and copying, but some parts are not
> making sense, I think it must be due to some links.
>
> I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it all, as I want to understand how
> to do this correctly.  Maybe that is easiest and then go from there.

The first thing to understand is that if you started with the
sourceforge tarball you would run an install script that lets you put
things anywhere you want.   However, in the distribution-packaged