BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)

2013-01-04 14:52:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Basic setup issues (Ubuntu 12.10)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Travis.Schwenke" <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:51:23 -0600
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Travis.Schwenke
<travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I guess one important question I have then is, should I be adding my account
> to the backuppc group and should I be adding the backuppc user to anything?

That should not be necessary.  Permissions are based on the backuppc
user owning all the files so the server can access them and apache
also having access so things work through the web interface.   You can
add additional web logins (not necessarily system users) that match
owners specified in the backuppc hosts file to control who can see
which targets.   And you need to understand su and sudo well enough to
execute commands as the backuppc user for testing and running the
'ssh-copy-id' command anyway.

>> You mentioned something about your 'only' list being ignored.  When you
>> specify this, the 'key' part is the sharename or '*' for all
>> shares, and the value is the path to back up.   And with smb you can't
>> specify both backupfilesonly and backupexclude because there is no way to
>> pass both to the client.
>
> Yeah, I did some reading last night and I think that was my issue in
> specifying the backupfilesonly, I think I put it into the wrong part of the
> form.  I did see some others were having issues.  I assume this is on a PER
> host basis?  I think it is as it seems the host config file trumps the main
> config is something was set there.

Pretty much everything can be specified in the global config if all of
your hosts are identical.  But, any settings made per-host will
override them for that target.   If some, but not all hosts are
similar, get one configured correctly, then use the new=old syntax
when you add the others in the web interface (edit hosts) and it will
copy all of the per-host settings to the new one.

==