BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie: backupPC installed ok, but trouble with 1st backup

2012-11-28 11:11:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie: backupPC installed ok, but trouble with 1st backup
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:10:04 -0500
On 11/24/2012 1:13 AM, Matthew Grob wrote:

> Great points and I sure agree.  Actually It's not me blocking ICMP -
> seems it's blocked outside of my control, not exactly sure where,
> but I can't ping between the machines - they are not on the same
> subnet - in fact I can't ping _any_ machine that is outside
> the subnet, so that why I believe ICMP is being blocked by the ISP -
> and could be an issue for other backupPC-ers.
>
> I'm using IPv4 right now.
>
> So I've got the PingCMD essentially disabled, which allows backupPC to
> proceed, but it's not I think a good long
> term solution for reasons mentioned on this thread.
>
> Btw thanks everyone for your replies - seems there is a great
> community here.  I'm hoping to add a few new converts
> to join the fun here, if I can get things to work.    The next issue
> I'm facing is to get the BackupFilesOnly feature to work -
> will send that on a separate thread if I can't get it to work soon
> (right now it's backing up everything despite me specifying otherwise)

You are probably setting it wrong.  That is a very common problem with
BackupFilesOnly and BackupExclude.

If you are using the GUI, the "Key" needs to be one of your share names
(or * if it should apply to all).  After you have added the key, then
you can add a list of files/directories to it.

--
Bowie