BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Any procedure for using 2 external harddrives

2012-10-25 11:45:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Any procedure for using 2 external harddrives
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:38:15 -0400
"Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com> wrote on 10/25/2012 09:14:47 AM:

> On 2012-10-25 14:10, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > On 10/24/2012 12:41 PM, dixieadmin wrote:
> >> I am currently using BackupPC 3.2.1 on SME Server 8.0.  I wanted
> to know if there is a correct procedure for using 2 different
> external harddrives as a backup source and to interchange them weekly?
> >
> > "interchange them weekly" ... Are you referring to having a 2-drive
> > mirror and replacing one weekly?  Or having one drive connected at a
> > time and swapping them out weekly?  Or having both drives connected and
> > swapping both out for 2 different drives weekly?
>
> Because of the pool model that BackupPC uses for storage, there are only
> two useful methods for using two different external drives:
>
> 1. Use RAID and remove one member periodically, to take offsite. This is
> best done with 3 drives, actually.
>
> 2. Use the external drives as a target for ArchiveHost, and dump occasional
> tarballs of each host to them. This is OK for emergency restore but won't
> give you a working BackupPC server if you want that.

Also, keep in mind that the original question shows a fundamental lack of understanding in the way BackupPC works.  BackupPC is *NOT* a simple replacement for a tape drive.  Swapping the entire pool weekly will undermine the way BackupPC works:  it's not designed for that.  And using preconceived ideas of traditional backup to shape the way BacukpPC works is not a path that leads to success.

For BackupPC to work effectively, the pool stays in place permanently, 100% of the time.  You do not "interchange" anything inside of BackupPC at all, with any frequency.  Of course, off-site backups are important, even essential.  This is *NOT* achieved by swapping pools.  It's achieved by one of three ways:

1) Constantly mirroring the pool and occasionally breaking the mirror to take it off-site.  (Option 1 above).  A variation of this would be to take the pool down and make a copy of it, then bring it back up (or use LVM snapshots to reduce the downtime).  This variation is left as an exercise for the reader:  there are a *lot* of unexpected details in that answer:  problems with file-level copy will most likely require block-level copies, LVM snapshots present performance and reliability issues, etc.

2) Exporting a single copy of a specific backup to a removable destination and moving that off-site.  (Option 2 above).  A variation of this would be to make the destination for the archive a remote filesystem already off-site, and there is no physical movement at all.

There is a third option that was not mentioned:

3) Have two BackupPC systems that *both* back up the same hosts in parallel.  A variation of this would have the BackupPC servers in different physical locations.  This variation just about requires the use of rsync, and even then is not always practical (if the data changes per day/week/whatever are too vast, the bandwidth between them too limited, or there is simply too much data to be able to back it all up twice in a reasonable amount of time).

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com