BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Any procedure for using 2 external harddrives

2012-10-25 09:16:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Any procedure for using 2 external harddrives
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:14:47 +0100
On 2012-10-25 14:10, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 12:41 PM, dixieadmin wrote:
>> I am currently using BackupPC 3.2.1 on SME Server 8.0.  I wanted to know if
>> there is a correct procedure for using 2 different external harddrives as a
>> backup source and to interchange them weekly?
>
> "interchange them weekly" ... Are you referring to having a 2-drive
> mirror and replacing one weekly?  Or having one drive connected at a
> time and swapping them out weekly?  Or having both drives connected and
> swapping both out for 2 different drives weekly?

Because of the pool model that BackupPC uses for storage, there are only
two useful methods for using two different external drives:

1. Use RAID and remove one member periodically, to take offsite. This is
best done with 3 drives, actually.

2. Use the external drives as a target for ArchiveHost, and dump occasional
tarballs of each host to them. This is OK for emergency restore but won't
give you a working BackupPC server if you want that.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists
and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so."