BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC data pool

2012-07-13 16:09:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC data pool
From: "Bryan Keadle (.net)" <bkeadle AT keadle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:07:08 -0500
Wow - great posts here - thank you; good information.

I just recently been introduced to BackupPC and I've been pursuing this as a VM appliance to backup non-critical targets.  Thus, as a VM, I would use remote storage (iSCSI) to provide capacity instead of local virtual disk.  High-value data is currently being backed up with an enterprise level product (Commvault).  I figured BackupPC could backup end-user PCs on an opt-in basis and other "low value" targets - things we don't currently have backups for.  This BackupPC appliance enables me to repurpose a bunch of high capacity drives I have laying around.  Should BackupPC become more heavily utilized and suffer in performance, then I accept that it will need to be (should be) a physical solution as you all have stressed.

Good to hear support for AoE - interesting.

Les - as for the offsite copies of the archive, you're speaking of a backup of the backup.  For the purpose that BackupPC provides, non-critical data, I'm not so concerned with backing up the backup.  However, should BackupPC start holding backups that I would need redundancy for, what do you recommend?  What are you doing?  Since I'm thinking SAN-based storage for BackupPC, I figured I would just use SAN-based replication.  But should that not be wise or available, would you just stand up an rSync target and just rSync /var/lib/BackupPC to some offisite target?

Thanks again, all, for the valued experience and guidance you provide.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
On 07/13 12:59 , Timothy J Massey wrote:
> And while a Drobo is one of the very nicest ones, it is still very much a small NAS box.
> BackupPC really wants to be set up on a standalone PC with directly attached disks.

I've used BackupPC on a Drobo device. Performance sucked compared to local
disk, and it was a lot more pain to set up. The Drobo is entirely too
clever, and will only support ext3 filesystems. So if you want to run XFS or
something else you'll run into all kinds of odd errors (I don't remember the
specifics).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator