BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC data pool

2012-07-13 13:53:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC data pool
From: Jim McNamara <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:51:51 -0400

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Mike <ispbuilder AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 12-07-13 01:50 PM, Bryan Keadle (.net) wrote:
> I think I had a buddy try AoE and found it problematic - not yet ready
> for prime time?

I've used it for a variety of things from software RAID to network
booting - no problems here?

+1 to AoE. I've connected AoE devices directly to my servers via cat5. AoE isn't a tcp protocol, and the lack of error checking on transmissions allows good speed in communications between server and storage unit. It just presents itself as a blank disk to the OS, and the OS formats it however you desire. I generally choose XFS for backuppc, and have never had an issue. If you do this however you want the low tech solutions, just a single box and cat5. Getting something that basically acts as a samba server as a front end to your storage will kill the possible speed. Having a dedicated 4,8,16, or 24 bay storage unit that appears local to the backuppc server has served me quite well, but as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you don't want to share it with other boxes.

--
Looking for (employment|contract) work in the
Internet industry, preferrably working remotely.