BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive host tar and hardlink problems

2012-06-18 19:41:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive host tar and hardlink problems
From: Steve Kieu <msh.computing AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:40:06 +1000
> under frootfs  folder.

When the target is a linux system, why not just use rsync over ssh?

Because I do not want to  spend cpu time on ssh - And why not rsyncd for local LAN. It should be done that way when encryption is not needed.

Backuppc hardlinks all identical files for its own storage - which is
most of the point of using it.   Normal tar will only include
hardlinks as links in its archive if it has the content earlier in the
stream, so I'm not sure what is going on here.   I haven't used the
rsyncd setup in combination with archivehost so I'm not sure what to
expect there.  If the module name is included as a top level directory
in the tar output, I would have expected extraction to have created it
and pushed everything else down a level.  Is there something in the

Yes it created the rootfs dir and put everything down to that folder. Extract using normal tar xzf

way you extract that would prevent that?    Does this scenario happen
in any other case?   Maybe it is somehow confused by the module name
and a directory being named the same, or by what happens to '/' as the
real top level when it is converted to a relative path in extraction.

Directory name  (rootfs) is generated by backuppc - It think It is based on the rsynd module name (if I named it differently then the foldername is changed as well).

When doing restore and select download as Tar archive, all is fine, the tar archive have no hardlink in it, and I can extract it correctly. I noticed that there is no top level folder rootfs anymore.

So there might be somewhere when doing archive it add the top folder (from looking at the frootfs and generated folder name rootfs and put all thins under it, that confused tar.

Thanks

Steve Kieu