BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive host tar and hardlink problems

2012-06-16 11:37:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive host tar and hardlink problems
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:35:49 -0500
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Steve Kieu <msh.computing AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

>> What is the ./rootfs/ directory, and why is that not the place it is
>> trying to write?   Do you actually have a hardlinked structure like
>> that on the backup target?
>>

> I use the rsyncd and modules name for path = / is rootfs . Then backup the
> whole root (with some exclude of course) using backuppc. Backuppc write it
> under frootfs  folder.

When the target is a linux system, why not just use rsync over ssh?

> When doing archive backupps put all file under / into a folder rootfs .

Are these the archives written by backuppc or something else?

> Nope backup target is normal centos 6 system so no hardlink at all for such
> like /sbin/e2fsck , etc.. . When backuppc does the backup as there are two
> nealry identical target  system it makes hardlink for the second one I guess
> to same disk space. But when dong an archive it should dereference the hard
> link -

Backuppc hardlinks all identical files for its own storage - which is
most of the point of using it.   Normal tar will only include
hardlinks as links in its archive if it has the content earlier in the
stream, so I'm not sure what is going on here.   I haven't used the
rsyncd setup in combination with archivehost so I'm not sure what to
expect there.  If the module name is included as a top level directory
in the tar output, I would have expected extraction to have created it
and pushed everything else down a level.  Is there something in the
way you extract that would prevent that?    Does this scenario happen
in any other case?   Maybe it is somehow confused by the module name
and a directory being named the same, or by what happens to '/' as the
real top level when it is converted to a relative path in extraction.