BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap

2012-02-14 17:19:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap
From: Rob Hasselbaum <rob AT hasselbaum DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:48:46 -0500
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

If I were doing it, I'd look at backuppc as the local backup copy and tarsnap or other remote system as the disaster recovery backup that you would only use if the primary system is gone.  Making one depend on the other gives you a single point of failure for both.

That is what I'm doing. Restoring from Tarsnap doesn't require the BackupPC server to be intact so there's no single point of failure.

In any event, I got it working. It turns out Tarsnap can consume tarballs directly. No need to point it to a filesystem.