BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] which one better ssh+rsync or rsyncd ?

2012-02-15 03:05:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] which one better ssh+rsync or rsyncd ?
From: "J. Bakshi" <bakshi12 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:33:48 +0530
Dear list,

Greetings to all of you. I have come to know about backuppc recently during my
search
for a net based backup solution which requires bare minimal settings at user
end and
supports various client OS. backuppc surely meet my requirement.

I am confused about the server-client authentication. The ssh+rsync is very
attractive,
but I like to restrict the passwordless key so that only and only the commands
required
to complete the backup operation should be performed. Within the from field in
the key
I can hard code the server IP, but how can I restrict the commands ?

Alternatively the rsyncd is also my consideration and I wonder how superior it
is
over ssh+rsync. Please give some clue on the above said topics so that I can
follow
the right direction.

Thanks