BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap

2012-02-10 10:48:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:46:00 -0600
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Rob Hasselbaum <rob AT hasselbaum DOT net> wrote:
I'm interested in customizing BackupPC's archive feature to send the data to Tarsnap instead of creating a local tarball. Has anyone tried this kind of integration? I understand that I need to change BackupPC_tarCreate, but I'm trying to figure out what the parameters that get passed to it actually represent. Does BackupPC_tarCreate get a filesystem view of the backup's contents or is it creating that itself?

Maybe it would be easier to just explode the tarball that the standard archive process creates and then call into Tarsnap, but that seems inefficient. I don't need the archive file.

I don't know anything about tarsnap but it looks like it has its own way of tracking incremental changes.  Is there some reason you can't just run it independently from the original source?    Someone has mentioned a fuse filesystem that works on top of the backuppc archive on the list before - that might work if you have to use backuppc's copy.