BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap

2012-02-10 11:39:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC integration with Tarsnap
From: Rob Hasselbaum <rob AT hasselbaum DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:37:49 -0500
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I don't know anything about tarsnap but it looks like it has its own way of tracking incremental changes.  Is there some reason you can't just run it independently from the original source?    Someone has mentioned a fuse filesystem that works on top of the backuppc archive on the list before - that might work if you have to use backuppc's copy.

One of the things I like about Tarsnap compared to other off-site backup services is that it's nicely scriptable so I can manage what gets backed up and when from one central server just like BackupPC itself. By the same token, though, Tarsnap is not very convenient to run from the individual PCs because some of them are Windows and I'd need to deploy scripts to run it periodically through Cygwin.

I'll take a look at the FUSE filesystem. Thanks for the tip! I'm guessing, though, that it won't be any more efficient than just exploding the archive to a /tmp directory and having Tarsnap walk through it there.