BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)

2012-01-12 14:14:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:02:32 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 01/10/2012 02:54:12 PM:

>> Like I said, I'm looking for the general interface provided by every
> NAS I've ever seen.  Of course, each of them is specific to their
> device.  I'm hoping there's a version out there for "generic" Linux.
>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions in this regard?

> The two players in the 'generic server GUI' space are SME server and
> ClearOS.   Both are sort-of generic Centos under the covers but you
> barely see it.  SME server has a long history but has slowed down
> progress in the last few years.  It works by having a web interface
> build snippets of config files and perl scripts that are processed
> with templates to rebuild the real config files.  If you want to
> make your own changes, you have to edit the templates, not the
> normal configs.  ClearOS has a much more modern ajax-y interface but
> I'm not quite sure what does the real work.   The delay in the
> CentOS 6.0 release set them back badly so you have to choose between
> a beta 6.x version or an outdated 5.x.

I was vaguely aware of these, but neither came to mind.  I will check them out.  Thank you!

> Unless you have a lot of users or changing needs, this doesn't
> really sound like something that needs a web GUI to manage  - or at
> least not worth putting up with oddball/non-standard configurations
> to get.

Yes, it does.  *You* try selling tools without a GUI in 2012.

This is not for personal consumption.  Like I said, I already have servers doing every one of these functions.  I now want to make them available to the office manager.  He needs a GUI to even consider it, even if he'll never change a single one of these features...

>    If your hardware can handle a small amount of overhead
> and you can manage it from a windows client, you might consider
> VMware ESXi (the free version).  Then you can run a full GUI console
> of any OS remotely

That doesn't add a thing for this solution.  It's not the "remotely" part that I need, it's the GUI part they need.  And ESXi doesn't help a *BIT* in configuring an NFS share...  (Nor does ESXi give me any advantage in managing storage, which is all that this solution really is.  In fact, there's a reason you really want to run a VM solution on *top* of a really good quality SAN...  :)  )

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com