BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client

2011-11-06 08:44:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client
From: Krzysztof Trybowski <trybowski AT aeropolis DOT pl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 14:15:05 +0100
Hello all,
I've just set up Backuppc as a backup solution for my server, and it
looks promising. I was hoping to also use it as a solution for our
laptops. The problem with them is, that they are truly mobile: our
consultants work at several locations, different networks, sometimes
behind NATs etc. Hence backing up such a laptop would only be possible
if it was a laptop who initiated a backup session to a server.

Is such scenario possible?

Backup would take place over a WAN, so using SMB is rather not
possible. I'd go with ssh or rsyncd. I'm guessing we'd need some sort
of a client software for this. Has anyone tried that?

It should be a solution that would be configured by an administrator
and then used by an end user in a simple manner.

Rgds, KT

--
Krzysztof Trybowski
  Gadu-Gadu: 1458144 --- Skype: trybowski