BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client

2011-11-06 09:16:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client
From: Doug Lytle <support AT drdos DOT info>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 09:15:27 -0500
Krzysztof Trybowski wrote:
> Backup would take place over a WAN, so using SMB is rather not
> possible. I'd go with ssh or rsyncd. I'm guessing we'd need some sort
> of a client software for this. Has anyone tried that?

We use OpenVPN for the connections, Rsync (DeltaCopy) and set the laptop
users backup to disable.  Then we give the user a profile in BackupPC
and a link to their backup entry.

They start the VPN up, and go kick off a manual backup (When they
remember to).

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."