BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] reducing i/o

2011-11-05 07:27:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] reducing i/o
From: pv <peter AT vratny DOT at>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:40:14 +0100
Hi

is there a way to reduce i/o load on the backup-servers significantly?

we are using backuppc over years in many different combinations of
hardware and filesystems and always i/o-wait is the killer.

we are now running 8 backuppc-server running ~16TB of backup-data
(quickly changing) and the handling is getting tricky (which host is the
client backuped on? is there a backup of every host? when do I have the
time to finaly really start programming backuppc-hq?)

so. we are willing to do anything to reduce the nr of backup-servers
(best would be only one).

eg we could give up deduplication, compression, increase RAM and
CPU-Power, change filesystem and os (debian and xfs now), change
raid-level (Non, raid-0, raid-1 and raid-10 now) and so on.

what we cant do for financial reasons is drop the cheap SATA drives.
changing to SAS 15k eg would be much more expensive (even if
calculating rackspace, power, machines, manpower and so on of the
current backuppool of 8 backup-servers)

any tips?

ys
Peter