BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client

2011-11-06 14:31:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client
From: Krzysztof Trybowski <trybowski AT aeropolis DOT pl>
To: Doug Lytle <support AT drdos DOT info>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:29:46 +0100
Dnia 6 listopada 2011 Doug Lytle napisal(a):

> Krzysztof Trybowski wrote:
>> Backup would take place over a WAN, so using SMB is rather not
>> possible. I'd go with ssh or rsyncd. I'm guessing we'd need some sort
>> of a client software for this. Has anyone tried that?

> We use OpenVPN for the connections, Rsync (DeltaCopy) and set the laptop
> users backup to disable.  Then we give the user a profile in BackupPC
> and a link to their backup entry.

> They start the VPN up, and go kick off a manual backup (When they
> remember to).

> Doug

Um, allright, that would be acceptable (although I'm worried about
performance of VPN connection). One thing that I'd like, it should be
a one action thing: start VPN connection and queue a backup in one click.
Plus a progress bar would be nice, so that a user knows when the
backup is done.

--
Krzysztof Trybowski
  Gadu-Gadu: 1458144 --- Skype: trybowski