BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client

2011-11-19 11:12:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Truly mobile backuping scenario — backup initiated by client
From: Randy Orrison <randy.orrison AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:11:04 +0000
On 6 November 2011 14:15, Doug Lytle <support AT drdos DOT info> wrote:
> Krzysztof Trybowski wrote:
>> Backup would take place over a WAN, so using SMB is rather not
>> possible. I'd go with ssh or rsyncd. I'm guessing we'd need some sort
>> of a client software for this. Has anyone tried that?
> We use OpenVPN for the connections, Rsync (DeltaCopy) and set the laptop
> users backup to disable.  Then we give the user a profile in BackupPC
> and a link to their backup entry.

I have mobile users that are often in the office, using Windows
laptops with cwRsync.  Everything works great if they bother to plug
into the LAN, but usually they just use WiFi which is on a different
subnet to the BackupPC server, so the server doesn't know the client
is available.

Considering that they don't even bother to plug in their network
cable, they're going to go to the web UI to request a backup, it needs
to be automated.  Is there some way that I could run a scheduled job
on the clients that would just tell the server "I'm here, here's my IP
address, back me up"?

Thanks,

Randy