BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [SPAM] Re: VMware ESXi performance?

2011-09-23 04:25:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [SPAM] Re: VMware ESXi performance?
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:04:17 +0200
Hi Less,

I'm running it here on an ESX host, too.
Installed as a VM with 2 vCPU and 3.5GB of vRAM as CentOS 5/32bit. The
backup data is stored on a second disk with 1.4TB in size [stored on a
RAID50 array]  (so far 1TB used) now for more than a year (or two
already?). It's backing up other virtual and physical machines (in total
~25 machines), mainly CentOS, but Windows (7/XP), too.

I'm using the vmxnet2 ("Enhanced") which should give better performance
compared to the default ones- but yes you'll need VMware Tools for this.

I assigned the backuppc as paravirtual scsi disk to improve performance
but it appears my box isn't really seriously used. I did block
allignement, too but I'm not sure if this made any difference. I just
used fdisk, switch with "u" and started the partion at 64 instead
default 63.

See the CPU and memory usage:

As I already posted to this list I'm cloning this disk through drbd to a
physical server and take LVM snapshots of the device there so I can
roll-back a month in case something goes seriously wrong.

No issues so far. drbd appears to be a little bit weak in terms of not
doing what you might expect but you'll always be able to recover.