BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] VMware ESXi performance?

2011-09-22 21:42:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] VMware ESXi performance?
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT internet2 DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:23:32 -0400
Trey Dockendorf wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2011 6:04 PM, "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com
> <mailto:lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Does anyone have a good estimate of the performance hit from running
>  > backuppc in a VM under VMware ESXi with nothing else sharing the
>  > physical disks for the archive?  And are there any tuning tricks to
>  > optimize the partition alignment, etc.?
>  >

> There are a few things to make the VM faster.  Ive found running the
> virtual disks as either LSI parallel SAS or paravirtual (pvscsi) helps.
> Also using VMXnet3 will lower cpu I/O on network activity.  This will
> require vmware tools for your respective distro.
>
> Alot would depend also on the disk and RAID level (assuming you use
> RAID). My ESXi server on RAID 10 is doing well with 20 servers being
> backed up and about 600GB of actual disk space used after pooling and
> compression.

I don't run backuppc under ESX but I run a lot of other stuff that way.

You shouldn't need to worry about alignment of the virtual disks.

Whenever running under vmware, set your kernel to use HZ=100 instead of
the default 100.  RHEL & derivatives support a kernel boot option
"divider=10" (I think) to do this.

Bottom line there is measurable I/O overhead with ESX(i) but it's
generally very low.

vmxnet3 & pvscsi are definitely a win.  as is running under vmware in
general (snapshots ftw!).
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer
Internet2