BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] VMware ESXi performance?

2011-09-22 19:21:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] VMware ESXi performance?
From: Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:20:15 -0500

On Sep 22, 2011 6:04 PM, "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a good estimate of the performance hit from running
> backuppc in a VM under VMware ESXi with nothing else sharing the
> physical disks for the archive?  And are there any tuning tricks to
> optimize the partition alignment, etc.?
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

There are a few things to make the VM faster.  Ive found running the virtual disks as either LSI parallel SAS or paravirtual (pvscsi) helps.  Also using VMXnet3 will lower cpu I/O on network activity.  This will require vmware tools for your respective distro.

Alot would depend also on the disk and RAID level (assuming you use RAID). My ESXi server on RAID 10 is doing well with 20 servers being backed up and about 600GB of actual disk space used after pooling and compression.

- Trey