BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC rsync over ssh work?

2011-09-26 05:14:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How does BackupPC rsync over ssh work?
From: maarten AT tepaske DOT net
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:29:16 +0200
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been explained before on this list, but I could
not find the answer in the archives.

I have been a long time user of BackupPC, but currently I'm building a
small ZFS-based NAS. I figured that BackupPC will not be ideal ZFS,
since it uses hard links as opposed to ZFS snapshots.

So I am currently writing some scripts for my backup needs. Which made
me wonder, BackupPC essentially starts a backup like this:

/usr/bin/ssh -4 -q -l backuppc <host> sudo /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender
--numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive . <directory>

But how does this really work? I understand rsync starts in server mode
on the host that is to be backed up, but I don't see a rsync process
being started on the BackupPC server.

I'm asking because I like to be able to ssh into the system (that is to
be backed up) as a user, and start rsync via sudo.

When I manually run the same command I do see the process:

backup      27755  0.0  0.1  10972   836 ?        Ss   10:26   0:00
/usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D
--links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive . /var/www/

But nothing happens, and stracing the process shows me:

$ strace -p 27755
Process 27755 attached - interrupt to quit
select(1, [0], [], NULL, {32, 526135})  = 0 (Timeout)
select(1, [0], [], NULL, {60, 0}

So what am I missing here?

Thanks,

Maarten