BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??

2011-09-09 11:56:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:55:08 -0500
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM,  <hansbkk AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>>> my main question: can rsync be made to treat the "meta-filesystem root"
>>> /cygwin as a ShareName?
>
>> Seems like something you could test easier than explaining the question
>> here...  Commands like 'ls -R /cygdrive'  can recurse over the letters that
>> appear so it seems theoretically possible.
>
> Perhaps I haven't been thorough enough in my testing, but I have tried
> it and couldn't get it to work. And as you point out the underlying
> protocols seem OK with the idea, which is what made me want to know if
> BackupPC doesn't want to do this by design, or I thought perhaps
> there's a variable switch to flick somewhere or. . .
>
> But I guess not 8-(

Just in case that wasn't a typo, the top level is /cygdrive..

>> Alternatively, you could just have the users rsync the contents regularly to
>> a matching place on a dedicated file server that backuppc backs up to keep a
>> history.
>
> Although a good suggestion in general - I've been using Unison to keep
> a large personal data set in sync across my multiple desktops for
> years - in this particular situation it would be more difficult to
> implement than I'd prefer.

If I were doing it, I'd try to work out a scheme where the disk
contained a batch file or program of some sort that would do the rsync
to the designated spot for that drive so the user could run it as
needed, and perhaps make something auto-run on connection to remind
them and offer to do it then if they have network access to the
server.   If this program also updated a timestamp file it would be
straightforward for someone to track how long it had been since any of
the updates had been done.    Unless there are multiple versions of
the same disk in circulation and you want them all synchronized, this
is not the same problem that unison solves.