BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??

2011-09-08 14:56:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 01:54:57 +0700
Our users have a variety of storage media from ordinary flash drives
and SD cards to eSata or firewire HDDs, and even some swappable
"internal" HD's. Much of these data is as or sometimes even more
important than those on the fixed drives.

Just as the notebook users are only intermittently attached to the
LAN, these various drives are only occasionally attached to the
notebooks.

Obviously a management challenge to set policies that will try to
maximise the security of these data, but my question here is
specifically to try to set up config.pl to avoid having to create and
maintain customized hostname.pl's.

I've tried to create an RsyncShareName = /cygwin  - note NOT
specifying a drive letter, the idea being that if a given user has
their F drive inserted one day and their H another, BackupPC will just
grab whatever's there and mounted.

Downside is that we'd also be backing up data from optical media that
happened to be in the DVD drive at the time, but that's a price we're
willing to pay, perhaps handled with strategic exceptional excludes if
it proves worth the headaches.

I haven't been able to get this to work so far. I've taken the
--one-filesystem out of my rsync args, tested with no excludes at all,
no dice.

Is there a way to accomplish this? even if it's a kludge workaround. . .

Or is this a truly idiotic idea that should indeed be prevented by design?