BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??

2011-09-10 01:57:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:55:32 +0700
On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I've only skimmed this thread so I apologize if I miss something but I
> was thinking. Might it be a better idea to make the user at least
> somewhat responsible for the backup?

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> In that case, I can't help thinking that the right solution would be a
> version control system designed for concurrent access with reasonable
> client interfaces for the conflict resolution operation.   This is

You may be right in an ideal world, but I'm still shooting for
something that requires a minimum of work, especially changes in user
behavior, training, etc.

AFAIC I'm still planning to try for my ideal - finding a way to just
backup everything currently mounted - putting in place the
restrictions I mentioned earlier to keep things as manageable as
possible. Since investigating that will be a bit of a capital-P
Project, I probably won't get a round tuit for a few weeks yet.

Plan B will probably be to keep the roaming disks the canonical
location, automate as much as possible their frequent rsync'ing up to
a central location and then using BackupPC to back it up from there.

Now that I think about it, implementing the latter for the "known
drives" first would be a quick win, leaving my more "out there" idea
as a later-on "belt and suspenders" process. Once a drive gets
converted into the more stable group, it can be excluded from the
"grab everything". Anyway, obviously thinking out loud here, don't
want to waste y'all's time any further.

Thanks both Richard and Les for your suggestions. . .

Very off-topic:

> I think Notes is still around, but it is at least as much of a toolkit

My career was very Notes-centric from around 91-Y2K, starting with v2;
IMO IBM's takeover and Ray Ozzie's departure was when Notes jumped the
shark, and given its history over the decade since, I'm *know* I'm not
going back 8-) The programmability came later on (v4+), but even out
of the box there was a lot of great functionality - pretty much
invented the concept of "groupware" back when the corporate world was
just starting to adjust (understatement!) to plain email and the
Internet still forbade any commercial activity. The replication model
was very kewl for intermittently-connected users, with a rare
combination of user-friendliness and central management I haven't come
across in the open-source world. . .