BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze

2011-09-08 05:09:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:07:09 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2011-09-07 17:46:47 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups
very slow after upgrade to squeeze]:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:10 PM, James L. Evans <jle AT techatl DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > xvda1   10GB    Operating system (24% used)
> > xvdb1   536MB   Swap partition
> > xvbc1   214GB   backup storage (72% used)
> >
> > I'm not sure how to tell what a "fragmented VM image" would look like.
>
> Did the location or allocation change as part of the upgrade?  If the
> partitions are mapped straight from the host, I wouldn't expect them
> to, but something seems to have made writing very slow.  Or perhaps
> you have concurrent activity on a different VM  or application that
> competes with the physical disk head location.

you did see the kjournald oops? I don't really know what to make of it, but
there is some kind of basic problem (hardware, on-disc corruption, software
incompatibility, ...). I'd look into that first, whether or not it is directly
related to the preformance issue.

Regards,
Holger