BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on client machine running on Fedora13

2011-08-18 09:01:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on client machine running on Fedora13
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:59:54 -0500
On 8/18/11 1:28 AM, jiahwei wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Because I am the one who will be owning the files and processes, thus to save
> trouble, I had the root user to be the dedicated user on the server.

It is not impossible to make it work as root, but it is generally considered a
bad practice to run programs or log in as root when it can be done as a less
privileged user.

> What do you meant by "If you is installed the version packaged as an rpm for
> fedora, it should have created the backuppc user for you"

The packaged versions (.deb or .rpm) do all of the necessary setup, including
creating the backuppc user when you install them.  However the rpm for Redhat
in
the EPEL repository is not the latest version.  It is also harder to change the
archive location if you use a distribution-packaged version.

> My backuppc server is running on redhat linux. I did not install the package
> as an rpm though. I installed using the backuppc tar-gzipped file.

That still leaves the question of why you can ssh manually to a target machine
but it fails when the backuppc server tries.  One possibility is that you
created the keys with a passphrase that you have entered at some point in your
login shell and  ssh-agent is subsequently supplying it when you test manually.